Interview with Eric Yeh from Havaan Tuvali Watches


Havaan Tuvani is a interesting new micro watch company from Taiwan. Eric Yeh is the man behind the brand who released the Squadron One recently. A watch which get's positive criticism on social media.

Here is an interview with Eric about the start of the watch brand, why the Squadron One is build like it is and how he got a patent on the sub-seconds dial.





Why did you decide on the Sellita movement and not the cheaper and widely used Miyota and Seiko movements?

- I worked as a watch repairer for a few years before deciding to start my own brand, and over the years disassembeling and assembeling the numerous watches and movements, I've discovered that Swiss movements are more reliable and accuarate, not saying that the Japanese movements are bad, they are cleverly designed after all, but the Swiss movements do stand the test of time and remain accurate while easier to maintain. So when I started my brand, the Sellita movement was the obvious choice without any second thought.

Do you source all the parts for the watches in Schwitzerland?

- Beside the movement, the others parts are from Taiwan and all watches are assembled by myself here in Taiwan. It is actually more costly to have the parts made locally here as opposed to those made in China. Little do people know that Taiwan was once the world's biggest manufacturer for watch parts, making parts for some of the well-known Swiss and European brands. 

- Of course nowsdays things have changed and almost everything is made in China. I was able to track down the few remaining factories here that still make watch parts and have them manufacture the parts for my watch. I won't compare the quality to the Chinese or Swiss made, that's up to the customers to decide, but as a Taiwanese watch brand, I try to have as many parts made here as possible to support the local economy.

I have searched the internet but I can't find the answer. What does Havaan Tuvali mean?

- My brand name, Havaan Tuvali was originated from the Taiwanese aboriginal Burun tribe language meaning “The deer’s sunset”. The ancient Burun people believed that at suns down, when the deer came out from the forest to browse for food and water, that’s the time for the people to finish up their day of work, in some ways, it is also how they tell time.

One of the very interesting things about the Squadron One is the sub-seconds dial. Is this patented now?

- Yes the small second display is patented, my next door neighbor was an attorney who does trademarks and patents, I showed him the prototype of my watch, he later did some research and found that I can actually file a patent for my design and so I did, it was totally by accident. 

What are the future plans for new watches from Havaan Tuvali?

- I am currently working on a divers model which also uses Sellita movement. Prototypes are being made as of this moment and I'm hoping to release the new model by the end of this year or early next year. Will let you know when the new model is ready and I'll sent you one for review.

Thanks a lot for the interview to Eric.

Make sure to visit his website to check out the Squadron One.

Kommentarer